Followers

Saturday, October 6, 2012

MESSAGE FROM A STRANGER

Have you ever had a day or two when your mood sours and you reflect on what is going wrong in your life. It can be all consuming when that happens. It could be something so small that sets you off, or a larger life problem weighing down your weary shoulders. 

I am rarely ungrateful, and I usually see the light at the end of the tunnel even when I am feeling discouraged or displaying embarrassing moments of self pity. When that happens, I usually look to my volunteer work, as giving back always puts life in perspective. I never go out into the world without interacting with others, sometimes those interactions with strangers leave you humbled and understanding the greater message of the universe.

Such a moment happened to me a few weeks ago. I was working out and afterwards a few people struck up a conversation with me. An older woman approached, and joined in on our chat. Her name was Aggie, and she was originally from Budapest and has been living in Beverly Hills for years. It is amazing how simple chats with strangers reveal the most interesting stories, you just have to have an open mind and choose to be present and engage yourself with others. Listening grants the loveliest non material gifts.

Our conversation went from the beauty of Hawaii, its music and culture to European travel. I visited  Hawaii only once but it left a lasting impression on my life. Europe on the other hand, I dream of seeing all the splendid countries across the pond. All of a sudden the older woman named Aggie asked me some questions about my family. She was from Budapest and I told her my unrequited dreams of Europe. She started to tell me about her travels, she has been to every continent except Australia.

I was intrigued, I love history and elderly people. I wanted to know who this free-spirited elderly lady was. I truly believe it is a sad that so many people go through their days without listening to older generations. They are walking history lessons, with beautiful stories to tell if you just are receptive to them. I answered her questions and I asked her if she had family in Budapest.

All of a sudden, Aggie opened up with the most fascinating stories of her past. She did not have any family left. She was orphaned after World War II. She continued to tell me that she is one of the last survivors of the Holocaust and was recently featured in a documentary. She was taken to a concentration camp at the age of ten, and after the war was the only member of her family to survive. She lost her parents, her whole family. She told me about an interesting memory she recalled about her school days before and after the war. She came from privilege, and at her school  the children with parents and  children who were orphaned were all photographed together for the same school picture. After the war, all the children photographed for the school portrait were all left orphaned. She also told me in the beginning of the war, she and her family were not aware of the travesty's that were going on just blocks from her home.

She continued to tell me about her life after the war, her marriage and her amazing travels. I was also blessed to meet her husband Peter. They were truly walking history and her spirit out rivaled most people I have ever met. She was not bitter about life, quite the contrary she embraced it and took every opportunity it offered. Happiness had not eluded her even with her tragic past. We exchanged emails and I knew I had made a new friend.  She instructed me to email her, and she exclaimed she would return the email with a link to the documentary she was in. She was the epitome' of survivor, and she reminded me of my own Mother.

After my encounter, I  suddenly felt so alive and went through my day with an extra smile on my face and extra appreciation for life. No longer was I wallowing in my own worries. Aggie had put all my silly problems in their place, and she was not even aware she did so. She inspired me with her story of survival and her zest for living despite her past.  I  left my encounter feeling like I normally feel, just blessed to be breathing. I knew I could do anything, be anything no matter what obstacles were to ever come my way; and those usual obstacles were self doubt and insecurity.  Life is too short to ever succumb to such useless feelings of not being worthy. We are all the same, and we all can do anything as long as we believe. Of course as I always feel, compassion and love for others is always the most important reason for being. It is the essence of life. Keep your eyes open and  ears clear or you may miss the messages the universe is sending to you. 

Interesting side note on the topic of the Holocaust. I have always been saddened yet fascinated with the stories of that tragic scar on humanity.  I have watched many films and read many books on the topic. I have written a few poems on the subject.  I  do not have a personal connection to that part of the past but for some reason I have always felt it deeply, and I have no understanding why except that my heart bleeds for all the injustices of the world. 

One day I was traveling from Mamaroneck NY on the train going into Manhattan. Just as the train descended into the tunnel that leads to Grand Central Station I saw the light fading, and I lost my breath. In that moment I wrote two little poems.

MANKIND'S WICKED WAYS
The train descends the alley of darkness,
Deeper into the abysm of bias.
Millions of tragic faces
Crammed into a traveling casket of steel,
Aware that fate has abandoned their cause;
As the last of the lightness fades to ebony.
Lured to the worlds sinister atrocity,
Too many souls cries unheard;
Reduced to ashes at the mercy
Of just one mortal man.
(c) Rose Bruno Bailey


SHROUD
The sky weeps ashes,
Hearts halt in its wake.
Dimness remains, idle;
Unaware of the receding sun.
Masses of memories haunt as
An overcast sky turns to filth,
Suppressing pardon.
A belated liberation for some,
Yet not for everyone;
It was the ugliest scar on humanity.

(c) Rose Bruno Bailey

We all have problems, maybe not as deep as Aggie's but they do weigh us down from time to time. At the end of the day it is how we choose to face adversity that matters. I choose to do so with love for my fellow creatures and gratitude for every blessing that has been bestowed upon me. If I get lemons, I will make lemon cookies so I can share my abundance with my fellow neighbors.  Believe in yourself, but also take the time to make a difference as you are out in the world making a name for yourself. Don't forget to pay attention, there is inspiration everywhere.

Namaste' love and light.
Rose


1 comment:

  1. Amazing and inspiring post, and the poems are wonderful and touching as always. Thank you for sharing this experience. It really helps put things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete